Tribute To Roy Schroeder

SEPTEMBER 21, 1923 - JULY 20, 2006

United States Army Air Corps
S/Sgt. – Ball Turret Gunner
B-24 Liberator - 31 Missions
China-India-Burma Theatre


Roy C. Schroeder, beloved husband of the late Dorothy (Welsh) Schroeder. Loving father of Wayne (Vicki) Schroeder, Nancy (late John) LeCount, Elaine Snider & Roger Schroeder. Devoted grandpa of Mark, Jennifer, David, Brian, Scott, Michelle, Ethan, Adam, Sam & Holly. Great-grandfather of 5. Thursday July 20, 2006. Age 82 years. Visitation Saturday from 10 AM until tim of Mass of Christian Burial at 11 AM at St. Jude's Church, 5924 Bridgetown Rd. (Bridgetown). In lieun of flowers, memorials may be made to St. Bernard's Church of Winton Place, 740 Circle Place, 45232

Rest In Peace, With The Thanks Of A Grateful Nation

Sgt. Roy C. Schroeder - 1944

Roy & father Harry Schroeder

Sgt. Schroeder's AAF "Timeline" (As Told To His Son, Roger):

Dad's Army/Air Force Tour of Duty.
One night a few years ago (2004 or so) I asked dad to tell me about his travels while he was in the service. He was very exact about a lot of things. I asked him to start off at the beginning when he 1st was drafted and to tell me everywhere he went. This is a pretty accurate account of his travels.
• Dad went on active duty in February 1943 and went to St. Petersburg, Florida where he took basic training (measles and all). He took basic training twice, because of being in the hospital with the measles and not being able to complete basic the 1st time.
• He volunteered for Gunnery School but, flunked his eye exam for having Exiphoria (one eye closer to the nose than the other eye). He had to really try hard to get into flying. He went to the doctor and said “Hey, look. I can see just fine and I want to fly” The doctor then waived the eye problem and approved his request.
• Then he went to Lowrey Field in Denver, Colorado for Armament School. Across the field was Buckley Field where he went to another armament school. After this he went to Yucca, Arizona.
• Gunnery School was in Yucca, Arizona. They learned how to shoot the 50 caliber machine guns by shooting at moving targets. The targets were attached to a jeep that ran on a railroad track. The jeep body was protected by mounds of dirt exposing only the targets.
• The last 2 weeks of gunnery training, they had flight training and learned how to shoot out of flying airplanes. They trained in B17s. They would shoot at targets that were towed by other planes. Everybody had different colored bullets so they identify who shot the target.
• He also flew in AT-6, Advance Trainer aircraft – which was basically a fighter plane converted into a trainer. Two guys – a pilot and a gunner. Dad was the gunner.
• He received his “wings” out of gunnery school. Dad’s wings are identified easily as “Air Gunner” Wings, as they have a bullet with wings on the bullet. • After Yucca, they put the crews together in Topeka, Kansas.
• Then he went to Casper, Wyoming, where they would do training missions, dropping 100lb smoke bombs and shoot at targets on the ground. They got in trouble for shooting at cows in the farms around the area.
• Dad said he flew overseas (to India) in March ’44 (probably in Feb ’44) and was assigned to the 7th Bomb Group of the 10th Air Force, 492nd Squadron.
• After Casper, he went on furlough for about 5 days and came home to Cincinnati. Then he reported to Miami Beach.
• In Miami Beach they caught a plane but didn’t know where they were going. The pilots were given orders in sealed envelopes and were told them not to open them until they were in the air for a few hours. This is when the found out that they were going to India, by way of Trinidad, the Azores, Africa and Iran.
• They flew to Trinidad and then on to the Azors, where they refueled and then on to the western tip of Africa to a country named Accru, to refuel again. Then they flew through the center of Africa and on to Tehran, Iran where they stayed overnight. The next day they flew onto Karachi, India. They were picked up and taken to their base at Madagans, Indian. That was their final destination and where they flew their bombing missions.
• During the monsoon season they moved down to Dacca, on the southern tip of India. From there they carried gas over the hump to air fields in China.
• He had one seven-day leave and went to Allabad, India. This is where he bought the jewelry box for mom. He also told the story that this is where he and his buddies took a ride in a horse drawn wagon then paid the driver to let them drive it. While they were driving it, the horse fell over and broke its harness. They had to pay the driver lots of money to pay for the damages. He said they probably paid the guy 4 times what the whole thing was worth. Big crowds of people were there watching and making a lot of noise about the incident. Luckily, they got out by just paying for the broken harness and wagon.
• Dad was overseas for 13 months. (He must have left in Feb ’44 and was there for 13 months, as Mom & Dad were married in March ’45.)
• He told the story of living in a British tent that he and his buddies stole from the Brits. They didn’t want to sleep in the barracks, so they stole a tent and lived there. His Buddies Were:
o Tony Johns – Aircraft Engineer – Flying Mechanic
o Hugh Courtney – Radioman
o Charlie Motley – Gunner
• He also tells the story of his buddies getting into a fight in the tent while he was sick to his stomach – he used his Helmet to (puke) get sick in.
• When he was coming home to the states, he flow to Casablanca, Egypt, where they stayed for a few weeks (2-3) and then they took a troop carrier ship back to the states. There were 3 troop carriers, escorted by USS Destroyers. He said that the destroyers would patrol around and drop depth charges. He said there were probably German U-Boats in the area. While in Casablanca he and his buddies got drunk and got thrown in jail overnight for being caught in the Casbah (rough part of town that they were told not to go to).